Monday, June 8, 2009

events that make up my day

long distance call to london made in the office. on office time. on company phone.

ginger-lemon-honey tea.

lunch with L. fusion tacos. gossip, advice, confessions. the way women bond.

forcing someone to divulge a secret. please, please, please. you can tell me. i won't tell anyone. i promise. you have to tell me now. why'd you even bring it up if you weren't going to tell me? he tells.

long email exchange with k about how we need to do something radically fun on wednesday. not just fun. radically fun.

recounting details of dinner at bazaar to fellow foodie.

remembering details of dinner at bazaar the way one newly in love ruminates on a night of passion.

and again.

smile.

agitating my father by asking him to speculate on something. i do not speculate. i could give you facts, but i don't have any. i could lie to make you happy, but i don't like to do that, he says.

asking him to hand the phone to my mother and making her speculate instead. she indulges me in our learned way.

reading jonathan franzen's piece in the new yorker. oh. my. god.

reading nyt.

freaking out about planes. phone call about freaking out about the fact that we have to be on a plane on friday. i am comforted.

having a strange man yell, "you're beautiful, can i have your number?" as i am pumping gas at the gas station. he is driving a white windowless van. remembering that my feeling about white windowless vans is that they are driven by child molesters and rapists. is a compliment from a child molester/rapist a compliment that should be accepted without some degree of internal conflict? i contemplate this. i smile politely at the child molester/rapist and hope he drives away soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment