Sunday, March 14, 2010

Highlights of this Weekend

M orders in French at Taix/the waiter brings us dessert on the house/Peach Tart/Mousse au chocolat/creme brulee/our appetizers take an hour and a half to arrive but all is good because we are laughing too hard/I run into my friend Q from Atlanta at a coffee shop in Silverlake/This is the coffee shop I generally avoid because I run into everyone here/And sometimes it just induces feelings I don't want to deal with/But I like Q, and we haven't caught up in forever/So I consider giving this sickeningly hip coffee shop (that serves $8 hot chocolate) another chance/Also, they have this passionfruit-shiso-basil seed-coconut milk-gelee thing that makes me want to cry it is so good/Mark Everett and appealingly nerdy girlfriend sit beside us at MC/I try and listen in on their conversation/They are talking about a show they went to/I admit to mild obsession with Mark Everett/When I can't sleep, I get up and google his new book, which I consider ordering on Amazon/Then decide that no decisions should be made at 4:00 AM/I take on hermetic tendencies/curl up in bed/I make a breakfast of fruit, cut up with precision and love/and creme fraiche because I don't care to ever find out my cholesterol levels/Read a book on North Korea by Barbara Demick/R and I outline, outline, outline/The 40-foot tall maple in my parents' yard falls in the storm/It crushes the SUV/They have no power/I imagine the tree on its side blocking the driveway/And Mishan staring at it with that look of incredulity he sometimes gets/I change into a black dress and wear my Egyptian scarf boots and my vintage Mexican necklace/I cry in I's office/I ignore a series of texts/I bemoan the invention of texting/someone send me a fucking letter to show you care already/Jo sends good letters/As do my parents, who send care packages/As does my middle school best-friend Mary Wall, who would write me letters over the summers while I was in India/I cry in my car after hearing a particularly moving NPR story/I finish an essay/I hike up to the top of the Franklin Hills/To watch the Sunset/I miss things/And people/Particularly people/So much that I don't even care to detail it/It is what it is/I suppose is all you can say/Or all that people do say/Whatever that means

No comments:

Post a Comment