Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Completely awkward improv at Starbucks

I cannot believe this actually happened. We need to start our own improv troupe

V and I are getting coffee at Starbucks, talking. Two men approach us.

Guy 1: Excuse me, we were standing over there and we were wondering about your ethnicity. Where are you from?

V: I'm Chinese.

Guy 2: No not you, her (points to me).

(Awkward glance moment)

Me: Umm...I'm Indian.

Guy 1: Yeah that's what we thought. We thought either Puerto Rican or Indian or Pakistani. But you have that classy look. Indians are classier than Pakistanis or Puerto Ricans.

(Oh my God serious awkward glance moment)

V: Well, actually she was adopted by a Pakistani family when she was four. So her parents and sister are Pakistani.

Me: Yeah, they smuggled me across the border after the...war. It was harrowing.

V: You've been through so much.

Me: Yeah, but my Pakistani parents have been through worse. They're incredible people, raising me Hindu even though they were Muslim. So you think my family's classy, right?

V: (Thinks for a minute) Yeah. I think so. Except for that aunt of yours. She's a real whore.

(Polite smiles)

Me: Well, it was nice to meet you.

Guy 1: Yes, you too (makes a run for it).