Sunday, February 28, 2010

Grocery Store Filibuster

Outside the grocery store, there is a man reading aloud from a phonebook. He doesn't look up as people pass. Half an hour later, he is still outside, in the rain, still reading from the phonebook. The checkout lady watches me watch him through the glass pane.

"He been doin' that for the past two hours. He always read from that phonebook when it rains."

"Is he...filibustering?" I ask, and then immediately realize how absurd that question sounds.

"Fili-what?" she asks.

"You know, how they read phonebooks aloud in congress to stop the passage of a bi..I don't think that's what he's doing, though," I add.

She dismisses the idea as swiftly as she puts a grapefuit into my bag.

"Naw...he just readin' that phonebook like it some sort of story. And it ain't no story," she says shaking her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment