Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Word of the Day

Henid:

An unclarified, sub-conscious "feeling". A vague, unformed, foggy or confused idea. A disorganized, undifferentiated thought. A proto-thought.

The idea of the "henid" was first postulated by Otto Weininger, in his work Sex and Character.

As an example of a henid, Weininger says,

"A common example from what has happened to all of us may serve to illustrate what a henid is. I may have a definite wish to say something particular, and then something distracts me, and the �it� I wanted to say or think has gone. Later on, by some process of association, the �it� is quite suddenly reproduced, and I know at once that it was what was on my tongue, but, so to speak, in a more perfect stage of development." - Sex and Character

No comments:

Post a Comment