Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pierre Koenig's Case Study House No. 21

I went to this house. And I met the owner. And I lounged in front of the fireplace, and pretended for a minute that I lived here. I am such an architecture stalker. Koenig is my favorite architect. For a while it was Wallace Neff, and I love Neutra and Lautner. When I am sad, I drive to Neutre Place off the Silverlake Reservoir and walk around. I also have a tendency to befriend architects because they're always such delightful and thoughtful people. But Pierre Koenig understands homes in a way that no one else does; he has a transcendent vision of spaces, and he works with the landscape. In other words, he excavates. He doesn't add to the landscape, like Frank Lloyd Wright. He doesn't embellish or try to create something that dominates the natural space around it. His vision is simple and ingenious.

No comments:

Post a Comment