Sunday, September 27, 2009

When Ted Kennedy cheated on an exam at Harvard, and subsequently was asked to take an academic leave, Joe Kennedy apparently told him something to the effect of, "Teddy, there are people who can get away with things and there are people who can't. You belong to the latter category." There's an important corollary to this, though: even if you happen to be of the former category, there are limits to what you can and can't get away with. So knowing what you absolutely can't get away with is critical (for me: not doing yoga four times a week, small white lies, skinny jeans, patent leather, animal prints, pretending I know how my car works, being a total asshole and thinking no one will notice, too many macarons, more than 2 glasses of wine, etc, etc.). I should avoid these things like the plague. But sometimes I don't, especially the macarons part. Because I like toeing the line. It's one of my favorite activities, right up there with eavesdropping on other people's conversations and wild speculation. But I digress. In an ideal world, everyone would know exactly what they can't get away with and keep these things on a laminated card, like an insurance card, in their wallet, to refer to in the midst of an existential emergency. But we don't live in an ideal world.

We live in a world where Scarlett Johansson and Pete Yorn think they can make music. And then give interviews and compare their work to the music of Serge Gainsbourg (sleaze) and Brigitte Bardot (racist). Although, I must admit, Gainsbourg and Bardot, despite their respective sleazy and racist tendencies, could at least make decent music together. Really, world. Are you really going to let ScarJo get away with everything just because of her enormous boobs?

No comments:

Post a Comment