Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dream

I work for Ari Emmanuel. My desk, in my office, is one of those amusement park teacups, the kind you and your family would sit around, with a wheel in the center, and spin around every time you went to Disneyland as a kid. The wheel is my desk. The teacup is yellow. Maybe this desk was installed in my office to spite me, or to humiliate me, but I don't care. I quite like it actually. And when clients and friends come to visit me, we spin in the teacup and my hair flies all over the place.

One day, Ari Emmanuel comes into my office and tells me that I am responsible for making him shark fin soup every week from now on.

"But I don't know how to make shark fin soup," I tell him, "I don't even know where to get shark fins."

"Too bad," he says, "because if you don't make me shark fin soup, I will fire you."

"Okay," I say to him.

"Okay what?" he asks.

"Okay then. Fire me," I tell him.

"You'll never work again in this town," he says.

"Okay, well then I guess I'll go back to New York,"

"You'll never work again in New York either," he says.

"Well, maybe I'll just travel for a while, then," I say.

"Don't you care that I'll fire you if you don't make me shark fin soup?" he asks.

"No," I tell him. And the truth is, I don't. And I'm not really afraid of him. Because if you really look at the things we do, every day, day in and day out, most of them are even more absurd than making shark fin soup because someone told you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment