Sunday, October 11, 2009

Things that Happened this Weekend

Dinner at Bazaar - cauliflower couscous with currants pinenuts pomegranate harissa, salt air margaritas, scallops with romesco, tempura asparagus, Greek yogurt panna cota with muscat gelee and apricots, sighting of Marcel from Top Chef/ "Here's a round of drinks on the chef!" / Wave thanks to Marcel / Tipsy walk to bathroom / mirrors in the bathroom stalls - not understanding the concept/joke of watching yourself pee/scary LA women by the sinks, tall and made of plastic, reapplying lipstick - "This one has the most beautiful skin, doncha think, Sarah? Look at her! You must be Eye-ranian! Eye-ranian women, I think they're so pretty!"/ sleep / yoga to burn off Jose Andres calories / A Gate at the Stairs / writing / kale salad to make up for Jose Andres calories / "Since when have you started watching your youthful figure?" / Dinner with M, T, and E / Discussion of furniture, art, the gentrification of Echo Park / scallops with nopalitas, cumin and corn, ratatouille, salmon with chermoula, rhubarb crisp / E entertains us with stories about the single life and receives two text messages from two separate women over the course of dinner as a demonstration of what the single life is like / we are all impressed / Post dinner drinks in lovely Echo Park home / a drive through the hills / regret at not waking up at 3:00 AM to watch the moon getting bombed / Thinking about the time my sister and I woke up at 3:00 AM in the morning to watch a meteor shower from a tennis court / remembering the recognition, the actual acknowledgement of the vastness of the sky-horizon-universe and the ensuing recognition of the limitations of human peripheral vision and not being able to wrap my head around it all / Remembering that I set the alarm in order to wake up to watch the moon getting bombed but didn't think it was worth it once the alarm went off and also remembering that I don't have a telescope / Regret and remorse about my laziness / having an argument with myself in my head about my laziness - "I'm not really that lazy. I'm motivated some of the time. No, I'm pretty lazy most of the time" / sleep / meditate / NYT/ trip to Montebello to visit a Sai Baba Temple / getting lost in Montebello despite the presence of an advanced navigational system in the car, an iPhone and handwritten notes from google maps (I know) / argument in the car about directions to Montebello / further angry discussion about the thought process behind building a temple in Montebello / arrival at temple / prayer / lots of Indian people my parents' age / drive home / coffee stop / farmer's market run /purchase of feta, olives, heirloom tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, Peruvian potatoes / homemade breakfast / Bill Maher on Tivo / writing / neatening house / laundry / grocery shopping / writing / Lorrie Moore / email correspondences /phone correspondences /my parents are at a Guru Dutt retrospective at Lincoln Center? / preparation of dinner / chopping of vegetables / sauteing of vegetables / seasoning of vegetables / pouring of a glass of wine / dinner / 60 Minutes / discussion of my crush on Rick Bayless/ angst over the fact that I am a failure / getting under the covers and bemoaning the fact that I am a failure / being asked if I am on my period / getting out of bed and writing / futzing around / trying to think of people who are worse failures than me to make myself feel better / feeling a little bit better / blogging / talk / sleep

1 comment: