Friday, October 23, 2009

I Fractal Mandelbrot

So I've been sick. The month finally did me in and for the past couple of days, I've been bedridden, or couchridden, watching movies and eating soup. Hence the writing hiatus. My head is in such a cloud.

Last night, high on cough syrup, I watched a NOVA episode on fractals, which had to be paused and rewound at certain parts in order to fully understand what was going on. After the episode, we had this conversation:

Me: I love fractals. I want to go back to college so I can study them.

D: I want to print up "I heart Mandelbrot" T-shirts, but instead of the heart, there would be a fractal.

Me: Do you think people would understand that?

D: People who watch NOVA would.

Me: Would people over the age of 60 want to wear your T-shirts?

D: My mom would.

Me: I thought the coolest thing was how your healthy blood vessels look like a pretty fractal tree and cancer blood vessels look like a messed up fractal tree.

D: Like evil fractals.

Me: Do you think there's a parallel universe made of evil fractals?

D: No.

Me: Do you think when we dream, our dreams can be translated into fractals?

D: Maybe.

Me: Fractals kind of make me want to cry. They're so beautiful.

D: I think we should buy Mandelbrot's fractal book.

Me: It's like the key to the Universe.

D: It's like the Bible. Only real.

Me: Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment