Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Love this Man

Sometimes when you've had a rough week, the best way to spend a Saturday night is to make an organic heirloom tomato, basil and burata salad with aged balsamic, light a joint and watch The Botany of Desire with Michael Pollan, the documentary in which Pollan explores the consciousness of apples, tulips, potatoes and marijuana. And does it slightly gigglingly, like he's high himself. But the truth is, he's high on his sensitivity and brilliance, and his acute awareness of his connection to the Earth, and this makes you love him even more. And he does discuss tulips and apples and marijuana through their own consciousness and genuinely explores the world from their perspective. And it's sort of beautiful.

I'll admit it: I have a ginormous crush on Michael Pollan. I want a domestic partnership with him in which he grows vegetables for me and makes me dinner and answers all my questions about sustainability. In fact, this morning, I had a question about Monsanto and I was mildly devastated that there isn't some sort of Michael Pollan hotline that I can call anytime I have questions about planting my own tomatoes or what kinds of tulips to buy for the dining table. Seriously, watch The Botany of Desire. It's sort of brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment