Thursday, November 19, 2009

I miss you, Sukhy

Sukhy is my eyebrow-threading lady in Providence. Today, after a discussion of eyebrow grooming, I found myself missing her. In college, during finals, when I was walking around in glasses and an ugly too-large cardigan with my hair unwashed and pinned in 20 bobby pins, people would stop me on the green, or outside the CIT and say, "Oh my God, did you do something different? You look great." And it was the eyebrows. Because Sukhy isn't just an eyebrow-threader. She is an artist.

Once, when I lived in Atlanta, I flew home for Christmas, stayed an extra day, and drove two hours to Providence to see Sukhy. This should speak to my loyalty when I feel like I've met the right person and also my general commitment to eyebrow grooming. But more than this, it should speak to my love of Sukhy and her art. Anyway, her shop was closed and I almost cried. So to make myself feel better, I got a banana nutella crepe at the Creperie. And a falafel at East Side Pockets. And one of those extra large cookies at Meeting Street Cafe for the ride home. And went home with ungroomed eyebrows. It was a sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment